I am so happy today is Friday.
This week has been so weird. I didn’t know what day it was, we had some crazy windy and rainy weather, and I was working really hard on being healthier and more productive.
I was halfway through Thursday when it was brought to my attention that it was, in fact, Wednesday. Blarg. Don’t you just hate it when that happens? That set off a whole well-if-today-isn’t-Thursday-then-that-means-tomorrow-isn’t-Friday general malaise and it went downhill from there.
The upside of the confusion was that I gained a whole day. The downside, obviously, is the exact same thing.
All in all, it was a good week. It was 14 degrees Celsius on the Thursday that was really Wednesday. In February. In Canada! It also rained an insane amount overnight Wednesday into Thursday with high winds and it was a hard wake up for early band. We made it, mind you.
The rainy day was dreamy in a way though and after work and school when we’d all normally be doing typical after work and school stuff – like making dinner – we all fell asleep! That hasn’t happened in a very long time. I guess we needed a little rest. It was kind of nice, actually. I am a terrible napper, so it was nice to snuggle with Thing 2 on the couch for a little while. The fact that I zonked out and actually slept was awesome. Then I made dinner while everyone else snoozed.
Before Friday becomes Saturday (I have had enough of days becoming other days for one week!), I give you five fun facts for Friday.
- I am a February baby. (My birthday happened earlier this month.) If I were a Leap Year Baby*, I would be celebrating only my 12th birthday this year. I think that is so fun! If I were a Leap Year Baby, I like to think I would have fun celebrations every four years. Wouldn’t that be fun?
- I have a lot of friends who are Valentine’s Day babies! Seriously, it’s uncanny. I can think of at least 6 people right off the top of my head (without a Facebook Birthday reminder or anything). Remarkable!
- I have been on a real spinach kick lately. Is that weird or what? I mean, who craves spinach? (This is the point where I hope at least one of you is reading in George Costanza’s mother’s – or Estelle Costanza’s -voice) What kind of person craves spinach? Well, I know some people do. Am I becoming the kind of person who craves spinach? Where will it end? Will you soon find me in the grocery store caressing the kale, looking to get my Freekeh on? Well, now I’ve gone too far, haven’t I? Besides, Freekeh is actually quite gluten full as it is made from roasted green wheat. Whew! That was a close one.
- Thing 2 was down with a very yucky virus for a full week. The poor thing! She was sick for Valentine’s Day and Heritage Day.** She doesn’t get sick very often (thank goodness), but when she does it always seems to fall on a special day. She had to miss out on some fun and so we all followed suit and had a very low key Valentine’s Day and spent our Heritage Day at home.
- I have a really good Doctor. (I got to see her today because Thing 1 had a check up.) She is kind and funny. She is smart and always has a minute to spare to be nice to my kids – and to me. I had some stuff to deal with and I thought I’d have to make an appointment next week when I got a chance, but after my son’s stuff was squared away, she turned to me to ask, “And you? How are you?”. It was unexpected and so cool of her, really. I tried to deflect any concern and said I’d be back, but she basically said, “We are here now. Let’s talk.”
It sometimes feels like no one cares in this world, but we can’t let that be the norm. We really have to seek out as much good as possible. It sure is nice when the good is present during stressful times. I really appreciate kindness.
*Also known as Leaplings. How cute is that?
**That’s Family Day to some of you. The February, Monday holiday. In Nova Scotia this year it was Joseph Howe Day.